Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thankful for Corn on the Cob Cookies!

Thanksgiving brought beautiful sunny weather to Ohio and another foodie challenge to my kitchen- corn on the cob cookies. I made these beautiful creations for my son's preschool class and they were such a hit that I made them again for my husband's family Thanksgiving celebration, where there are lots of kids and cookie eating adults. Again, they were a huge hit at the family gathering as well, so score!

I used a basic sugar cookie recipe, true to my desire to cook outside the box. This recipe calls for a corn cob shaped sugar cookie as the base, so any type of sugar cookie dough would work. If you need to speed up the process or just don't like to bake then I would think that pre-made dough would work just fine. Just make sure the dough is cold enough to roll out. Because I don't own a corn cob shaped cookie cutter I used a sharp knife to cut out my cobs free hand style- they were each a little different in size but they looked just fine.

After baking and allowing the cookies to cool I frosted them very lightly with chocolate frosting and then covered each cob with fall colored M&M's, pushing them into each other so that they sat on the cookie like little kernels of corn. I then used green and yellow fruit leather to create the stalks, attaching the leather to the cookie with a tiny dab of frosting. Honestly, finding green and yellow fruit leather was the hardest part of the whole process! I ended up buying a bunch of boxes of mixed fruit leathers, which made my preschooler VERY happy, as he was able to then snack on the blue and red ones.

This cookie was easy to make, looked great, was fun for the little ones, and tasted great- total win! This is one I will definitely make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment